Water Saving Tips
Cutting down on your water use doesn’t need to affect your daily routine. Our water-saving ideas will show you how simple changes can make a really big difference.
- Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth.A running tap can use six litres of water per minute.
- Take shorter showers – we recommend four minutes.On average a shower uses 10 litres of water a minute.
- Skip the car wash.A dirty car shows you’re doing your bit to save water. Be proud to be dirty.
- Fully load your washing machine.A full load uses less water than two half-loads.
- Only flush the toilet if you need to.On average, each flush uses 7 litres of water.
- Make your garden water efficient.Less watering doesn’t have to mean less gardening! Start opting for plants that don’t mind going without a drink for a while. Your garden centre will be able to recommend plants that need less water.
- Fix leaking taps.A dripping tap can waste more than 60 litres of water per week.
- Keep a jug of water in the fridge.Planning ahead means there is no need to run the water until it gets cold.
- Don’t leave the tap running to clean dishes or vegetables.Use a bowl of water instead. A running tap uses 6 litres of water per minute.
- Order a water butt.Collect rainwater to use on your plants and lawn.
- Fill the kettle with only as much water as you need.This will save water and energy.